Thursday 19 May 2011

Making the Cigarette Packet

I decided to firstly create the cigarette packet as it seemed the most simple one to start off with and I had a good reference:


The lucky strike brand of cigarettes




Dimensions:  2.25 X 2.8 INCHES (unsure of depth)

This brand of cigarettes were given to soldiers for free and though being an American brand some British troops smoked them. To make them in a feminine way I used felt, old socks and embroidery. I chose this because looking at the items such as the "Dig for Victory" embroidered poster as well as the make do an mend initiative meant I was using similar techniques to that of what the women in WW2 did, linking the masculine and the feminine.




I think overall this went well, although the stitching is somewhat crude, I like that about it because it adds a human element to it because it was hand sewn. What I also thought was that the stitching looked as though it had a sense of haste and something like the cigarettes would have been what soldiers really wanted, so the urgency in getting and having the product was paramount. This led me in to thinking about the use of hand sewing all the products to get this feeling of haste, because the objects were really needed. I also realised that I can keep some objects that I am creating soft, rather than using resin or PVA etc. on them and they will retain shapes, though I don't think this will work as much on a larger scale where more structural support would be needed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment